Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What Did You See on Your Walk?

Originally published 4/04/2011 at explorealongtheway.com

Yesterday morning the sky was clear blue and the swollen buds on the maples and the beech caught the light just so, making me wish that I had my camera with me. Today the sky was a heavy gray. Cold raindrops (a few looking suspiciously like snowflakes) pelted me on and off. What the two days had in common was that I sighted an impressive flock of wild turkeys with three males on full display, their tails fanned.

On Sunday I counted 14 (or so) turkeys; I didn’t want to get too close and they were on the move. Today I saw the flock twice and both times I counted 18 turkeys. There are probably some Jakes (young males) in the crowd, but I didn’t see the fluffy starts of any beards (an odd feather that sticks out from the chest and gets longer as the male gets older and claims the more familiar moniker, a Tom turkey).

One of the hens (named Jenny, no matter her age) got spooked by my presence – I really wasn’t that close (I was chased once by two turkeys that I got too close to; I won’t make that mistake again) – and she flapped her wings a couple of times. I wasn’t certain if it was me or the other turkeys who were supposed to take warning; however, none of the other turkeys responded.


I was a bit disappointed that they didn’t take flight; watching a feathered basketball-shaped body flying (up to 30 miles an hour) is astounding and a bit nerve-wracking (particularly if it is flying overhead). However, watching the meandering crowd being directed by the Toms was worth the chill in my muscles.

And then, when I got home, I looked up and saw a Great Blue Heron, looking like a pterodactyl in flight, go overhead. Cool. Yeah Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment